September 26, 2010

Making a pattern from ready-to-wear

I just finished another class. This one was about picking out a favorite garment and making a pattern from it without taking apart the original garment. I have posted about this shirt before. I found it in a consignment shop in Santa Monica. It's a sweet shirt probably from the 60's made out of polyester, which is kind of gross. I want to take it from a knit fabric to a regular cotton weave. Below is my first attempt. I had to cut the sides, left and right of the collar to add width, hence the funny seams. I am now working on a new pattern based on what I have learned so far. I don't think this will be a quick process but that's fine, I have time for this kind of stuff (isn't winter the next season?). So, I'm not done, somewhere in the middle of the process with many more refinements to make to the rough copy below. More to come.

Umm Treadle has a sale starting on Thursday running through the weekend, just what I need, more fabric! Oh boy!


Yes, I got into the filters again on this image. It just seemed so plain, I couldn't stop myself.

Anyway you can see the rough cuts I made up the side center to add width. I'm also giving this shirt about 2" in length, which is not reflected here. It is fun "owning" your pattern and making the decisions on what you want to do with it. It's a really interesting process too.

No comments:

 

avandia class action lawsuit