June 14, 2011

The state of Maine

I had a really great opportunity to go to an AIGA (American Institute of Graphic Arts) conference recently which is always a treat. Typically AIGA pulls in top notch designers to speak and present their work which is always exciting. Pretty much seeing and hearing your career heroes, a real thrill for sure. This particular conference was taking place in Maine. Did I say Maine? I mean MAINE! That was a place on my short list that I really needed to see. Prior to this trip I'd say I have been to roughly about 43 states, check- now make that 44! (6 more to go!). But in all seriousness I have been craving to go to Maine. This trip was short, just a long weekend but I looked at it as an introduction, a taste of Maine. The conference was just one day leaving a weekend to explore with John. I loved it, and I shall go back, for sure!

I'm actually a terrible note taker, more of a doodler…surprise!

I tried to be very planful (not really a word) but since I had no idea what I was really reading about as I studied our driving plan I just jotted down ideas…and here we go!

Here we are in Portland Maine. My first discovery was a bakery called the Standard Baking Co. which we headed to every morning. Out front there was a little sitting area with these beautiful poppies. Inside, delicious baked goods, nice to be on vacation where all yummy things are fair game!

Maine is a very doggy state, it seemed like every other person had a dog companion with them, including this handsome fella. Yes he had a human companion.



Another lovely coastal town, Wiscasset, Maine. I'm sorry I didn't do a better job of recording the historical buildings, it really was amazing to see buildings from the 1700s and 1800s! Remember I'm from Los Angeles, where there are no old buildings. I think everything was torn down and rebuilt in the 60's and 70's, such a shame.



Camden, Maine, a really lovely coastal town.


I would love to sail on this vessel, did I say love…I mean LOVE!
(one can dream)






Bucksport, Maine…not sure if that's Buck's Port or Buck Sport or Bucksport…


We stayed in Bar Harbor which is located on Mount Desert Island, which is also where Arcadia National Park is located.


These next pictures are from Arcadia National Park and Seal Harbor. It rained all day and we just made the most of it…


Lupine grow wild all over in a lovely variety of colors.

This was all the better I did on wildlife, but he (I think he is a "he") is quite handsome and poses very politely for the camera.


Happy feet!


I put all my photos on Flickr…yes there are many more. You know, I'm one with camera and take many photos. If you are interested, here they are: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stellagirl/

5 comments:

Sew Blessed Maw [Judy] said...

Cathe, the photos are beautiful. And Maine is so pretty. I want to go to...
I am ready to do a nautical challenge...even ,if its just you and me.ha
I too love the boats, light houses.. so pretty.
thankyou for sharing.

House of Pinheiro said...

Amazing photos. I am going to join you on flicr. I wanted to let you know that I just linked you website today on my Post about the traveling notions, so you maybe wanna have a look. I add your photo as one of my favorite looks.
http://houseofpinheiro.blogspot.com/2011/06/world-travelling-lace-and-notions-vol-1.html

Tomorrow I am having a giveaway and the day after i will show my dress from this challenge ! lots of love !

Anonymous said...

Land that I love!! I love your ship photos - I've never been to Camden myself.

As for being a doodler - my doodle to note ratio during meetings is something akin to 70/30 to 80/20!

Cathe said...

I have to say Maine was a total delight!

marcy harriell | oonaballoona said...

i love this post... especially your doodles!

 

avandia class action lawsuit