Completed project! I decided to hand make the buttonholes on this shirt. My logic was that this pattern was produced in the early 50's and buttonholes were probably mostly made by hand. I tried to be as respectful of the past, I finished my seams by flat felding all of them, no serger this time.I like the idea of hand making buttonholes but I feel the thread that I used was too course and the results are okay but not what I had hoped for. It just doesn't look refined enough, my fault, I purchased thread that was too thick. Being Easter, I could either use what I had or wait until I could get the right supplies. Yes you guessed right, I couldn't wait. I was in the "zone" and wanted to get it done. I'm not done with handmade buttonholes…I will give it a whirl again!
The fabric was purchased in LA from Mood. I just had to go and did I ever enjoy it. I gave myself a time limit otherwise I really would have spent the whole day there. This fabric is a cotton voile. It will be very nice in the summer.


Here's the supply list for sewing button holes. And below is a chart showing how. I would also suggest checking out this tutorial: http://thedillspiel.blogspot.com/2011/03/nancy-drew-sunni-of-cupcake-goddess.html.
Complements of my new Simplicity sewing book!

3 comments:
Cathe,
I am sooooooooooo impressed with this blouse.You did an excellent job. I can tell you took alot of pains and time with it.It looks beautiful.and looks great on you. Enjoy...
Your book really helped me out! Thank you for your kind comments Judy!
Beautiful blouse!! I'm loving the fabric and matching buttons. Love that you did the buttonholes by hand!
Post a Comment