I joined an online sewing group called Sew Weekly. It's very fun but as the name implies, there is a weekly challenge! This past week was to sew an outfit inspired by your childhood.So here it is, I believe I'm just turning 6 in the picture above. Many of my clothes were made by my Mom and they were awesome. This was one of my favorite dresses. It was comfortable and fun and I remember it very well. It had really cute dimensionally round buttons on the front panel. The top orange section was made of a jersey cotton so it kind of had a t-shirt quality to it and the skirt was attached so it's all one piece. When I went to grade school you had to wear a dress Monday-Thursday and Friday was pants day…hum is that where casual Friday came from?
So here's my results from the above inspiration. Yes another tunic, well why not!? This is another Lisette pattern from Simplicity-2211. I made a few alternations and additions. No surprise I added an inch to the length of the sleeves, I used the dress pattern instead of the tunic, I added darts to the back to take out some of the bulk and I added patch pockets.
Here are the buttons. Now to make this all the more sweet I found these buttons while visiting my parents two weeks ago! They are exactly the same style of buttons used on my favorite dress!




My personal challenge was to create clean seams. I flat felled and French seamed all of the seams on this tunic. John got me started on a new secret weapon, a glue stick. As you know John is an awesome tailor…sewist, and has made tons of discoveries, the glue stick being one of them. It washes out, and it holds an unsewn seam better than pins!

2 comments:
A clue stick - what a nifty idea. Im going to remember that one!
I really, really have been wanting to make this pattern - only the dress version, except I'll be opposite you from you: I'll make the tunic length and it will probably be about right as a dress for me! I'm waiting for a good Sew Weekly challenge to make it but none so far yet!
I love your version and those are some very awesome buttons.
-Lisette
Post a Comment