August 21, 2011

the cape

Here we go, ready for a walk? Let's take the pups…umm that'll be fun.

I'm sporting my new wool cape…are you questioning the idea of a cape? I get it, but check out this cape, it's casual and all about going places.

Where did it come from…Australia, okay the pattern came from Australia. Here's the web site: www.tessuti.com.au
Yeah, it was a little pricey but what can I say, I really wanted to make it and I love the look. I just might make another one while I'm at it.

Fabric you ask…it was something I purchased last winter at Treadle's winter sale. It was just waiting for the right project. Its a really nice soft wool. I bought the dark gray wool/cashmere blend for the binding, green rayon Ambiance for the Hong Kong seams and three rounds of buttons (I couldn't make up my mind).

Time…I'd like to believe time is on my side, but that just happens to be a song and not always the reality at hand. I started this as a class project and made a muslin that I posted earlier. Originally I probably spent about 8 hours on it give or take. The Hong Kong seams are a little slow going and the learning curve was great. I bogged down on the binding edge. I just couldn't find a clean solution that looked like it would hold up so I went back to a quilt binding edge which means loads of hand sewing…probably another 5 hours, and then the button holes and buttons, another hour. Okay add that up, around 14 hours…I guess that seems right.

Difficulty…this is a great pattern, very well done with lots of visuals and clear direction. I would say just the right amount of challenges to learn detailed sewing!

The following pictures (and there are plenty) give you every angle and scenario.



















And that concludes the "New York Cape". And yes I love it!

5 comments:

sertyan said...

Morning Cathe!
Finally your cape is done! I love it. Seriously, good job! I really like your first picture. It looks store bought! You look real cozy in it.

Beautiful setting for the photo shoot....your little dog looks real contented too, he must be trained for posing for pictures, hey.

Debi said...

Wow Cathe! This cape is FABULOUS! The wool and trim you choose are perfect for it and it looks so comfortable!!

Ns said...

I love capes, and that one is marvelous.

House of Pinheiro said...

Elegant & cool.

Sew Blessed Maw [Judy] said...

Cathe,
I absolutely love the cape.You did an excellent job on this.. From start to finish..I just cant find one thing wrong with it.. Your sewing is just the best..you need to be on Project runway..[but not paired with Bert,ha] Love it.enjoy wearing.

 

avandia class action lawsuit