August 13, 2011

sewing class

Here's the pattern I am making in my sewing class. I never thought much about capes but I gotta tell you I love this pattern. It's from Australia, yes I know, seems like I could find a pattern like this here, maybe, maybe not. Or maybe it's more enticing because it's from Australia!

My muslin…yes it's pretty funny, I look like I'm in jail. When I first opened the pattern I thought, wow this looks small although it was made to cover a multitude of sizes, but probably not amazon women like me. I went ahead and traced the pattern, adding 4" to the length, made the muslin and thought, wow now I look like a troll, the proportions are so off, what have I done?! Okay call this Goldilocks, I hacked two inches off and I do believe I have it just right!

So off to class I go ready to cut out my pattern and learn new ways to finish off seams. The internal seams are completed with what is called a Hong Kong seam (left). the outer edge will be finished off with regular seam binding except I will use a dark gray wool (as shown here on the right). The body of my cape is the medium gray wool. I purchased this a long time ago at the winter sale at Treadle and just set it aside for the perfect moment…now!

I love this green against the gray. The binding is a thin silky rayon. I need to seriously focus when I sew the binding…but I love how pretty and clean it looks!

Buttons, left or right…?? I'm leaning towards the right, what do you think?

3 comments:

Sew Blessed Maw [Judy] said...

Cathe, I am in love with this cape pattern. I have seen many patterns here..but nothing that will compare with this one.Adorable!!!
the green tape on your seams..beautiful..
My choice of buttons .I like the one on the left.
Cant wait to see the finished garment.. Have fun at your sewing class.

Kirsty said...

Oooh this looks delicious. I vote left too. Looking forward to seeing it when you've finished :)

House of Pinheiro said...

Cathe, looks lovely. Great pattern spotting ...

 

avandia class action lawsuit