August 13, 2011

the Lotus



A little summer shirt made this week for the latest Sew Weekly challenge. I don't follow the challenges too closely and I don't necessarily make something every week. That would be a pretty hard task I think and it would probably take the fun out of sewing for me.

There is this really cool old building just down the road from us. It's abandoned and I'm sure days from being torn down. It was my backdrop.

I'd like to go back again and snap some more pictures, it's all paint-peely and run down, just the right amount of patina to make it super interesting.

Shirt details…I added hand made lace (from John's Grandmother) to the neckline and made a rosette from this really cool Japanese gaze material.

This pattern calls for buttons down the back, I changed it and made the shirt a pull over. As cute as buttons are down one's back they are a pain and a little uncomfortable to lean against.

I added the back yoke in brown chambray to continue the front shoulder yokes. This was a late addition. When I had it all sewn it looked odd with just a solid back. Gotta say taking out French seams, not the easiest thing to do! But I'm happy I did, I think it looks more complete. I feel like backs need consideration too!





and there is more…
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stellagirl/

2 comments:

Sew Blessed Maw [Judy] said...

one of my absolute favorite things you have made.. The fabric colors are just beautiful against the old building.. Wonderful photography.. and a beautiful blouse.

sertyan said...

Hi Cathe

This top is so fun, flirty and pretty! I love the little corsage you made and the fabric choice as well. This is such a happy top!

 

avandia class action lawsuit